Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Random Musical

When Laurie and I were single and living in Mesa, AZ, we had friends who, every now and then, would put on what they called "random musical" in local malls. They would get together on a Saturday morning and work out some simple choreography, and a song... I think it was always the same song ("Sieze the Day", from Newsies) Anyway, then they would all go to a mall and go their separate ways. At a designated time, they would all be near the same area, and one of the "performers" would just start singing very dramatically... "Open the gates and sieze the day..." After a couple of lines, "random" people would join him until eventually there were a lot of people singing the song, and doing the choreography. When they were done singing, they would just stop and walk away as though nothing had happened, and they didn't know each other. Laurie and I wanted to do it, but were both busy when we got the chance...

Anyway, Laurie, Gracie and I were going through the McDonalds drive thru the other day, getting some McFlurries... The young man took my debit card, and processed the transaction. He then gave my card back to me, paused, then sang, "You've got the whole world, in your hands..." I couldn't figure out what he was talking about, and thought he was moronic, until Laurie realized that my debit card has an image of the earth on it... We drove away laughing hysterically! I've never been sung to in a McDonalds drive thru, or any other drive thru for that matter. What a great way to bring a smile to people's faces!

7 comments:

Levi and Suzi said...

That's awesome! You know that kid must just be a happy, confident guy to be doing things like that. It made me smile and I was getting it second-hand!

Amy said...

1. You had awesome friends in Mesa. However, you were in MESA so I am totally unsurprised...my older siblings were like that. Unfortunately I went to school with much more insecure and appearances-savvy people who would never have agreed to the mall scheme. I would have done it in a moment! Rad.

2. I agree with levi and suzi's comment. That guy must be confident. And amazing! And the fact that he did it makes me think that he would have been laughing back at you for thinking he was moronic when he had just done something totally clever and beyond the avg brain's ability to make that connection.

3. This comment is too long.

Laurie said...

That was suuuuuuper funny! That kid really should get a raise.
I loved the "pleased with himself" look on his face when we drove away!
I am still chuckling about it.

Megan Bruschke said...

That is awesome! Don't you love it when people do things that make you smile in the most unexpected moments!

jamie said...

the newsies thing was hilarious! if us california folk are ever all together again, we should do it!

Kathy P said...

that is so cool -- I have never met anyone at McDonalds with any personality, so I am glad to know they exist. I have always wanted to do something like that. I even had my mia maids ready to go into action. Alas, I am a big chicken. And while I admire your friends and the McDonalds guy, I just can't pull it off.
Do you think that guy knew how he would affect not only your day but that of your blogging buddies? What a great story!

Raysha said...

I'm so glad that you were the ones at the window when he started singing! You know, someone who would really appreciate it, not some A-hole who would just roll their eyes and drive away. I love the randomness!