Monday, September 15, 2008

Dora the Explorer... Why!?


My daughter loves Dora the Explorer. I'm not sure if she loves Dora more than "princesses", but its definitely close. I really am not sure if I'm okay with my daughter being so enamored by Dora the Explorer. Let me explain the numerous reasons why:

1) Do we really want to teach our children that they can go on adventures crossing alligator lakes, snake rivers, etc. without any adult supervision. Her only companionship is a monkey who wears boots, and a backpack and map that she talks to... that's not creepy at all.

2) With all of the social pressure on our children to fit in and wear the "right" clothes these days, do we really want our daughters idolizing someone who wears a pink shirt with orangish-red shorts, then accents with yellow frilly socks? It gets even worse when you consider that her shirt isn't long enough to cover her big-ole gut!
3) I know that the show is supposed to encourage learning dual languages and everything, but in reality, do we want our kids speaking in English with few Spanish words mixed in here and there? Its already hard enough to understand them sometimes... If my daughter wants to speak Spanish, I'm fine with that, but I hope that she'll speak it in complete sentences, as well as English.
4) Finally, I do not want my daughter idolizing/hanging out with someone who just happens to be carrying a backpack full of a flashlight, a shovel, a map, a water-skiing rope, and a bar of soap. I can think of no good reason why a child would need that combination of things in her backpack... it spells one thing... "T-R-O-U-B-L-E"!
Finally, you can see that if you step back and look at the concept of Dora the Explorer, its pretty unnerving to have your child watch and adore the show... So, parents, beware, and please be careful about what your children watch...
(wink, wink)

9 comments:

Courtni said...

Does it make it worse if the one that loves this show is a boy? After Brett started loving this show, Brian insisted that we get the episodes of Dora AND Diego so at least there was a boy in it.

Oh, have you seen the Brian Regan episode where he makes fun of Dora and the map? Pretty funny.

Laurie said...

"I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'M THE MAP!!"
I will never look at Dora in the same way. That shameful belly of hers!

Gusties said...

The question for Brian and Courtni is this... Does Brett like it because Dora shows her belly? If so, its time to turn it off! ;)

And, yes, Brian Regan's bit on the map is hilarious!

Kathy P said...

It could be worse, It could be "Yo Gabba Gabba" Now there is a show to be afraid of.

My MIL actually won't let any of the grandkids watch Dora or Diego because the characters are always yelling. If she only knew the real reasons to worry about this show!!!

Funny.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

That is so funny...I also wrote a post about this today! Your SIL just gave me the link to your blog in my comments...we have some of the same concerns! actually mine are not as good as your...truth be told! loL!

Amy said...

I was thinking of Brian Regan as I read this too. The part of your post talking about color coordinating is hilarious. I'd hate to see what you would have to say if Dora was a little Asian girl and coordinated accordingly, lol.

jamie said...

have you seen this. i think you would really like it, given that you are a dora fan and all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1FfL9_P5LE

jamie said...

p.s. there is one naughty word that is bleeped out, for those of you might appreciate being forewarned.

The Laytons said...

Gus, this is Sam Layton you left a post on my blog a few days ago. I was wondering... and your post was a little unclear, are you working at Lockheed and living in Denver or do you work somewhere else (Boeing?) and live here. In any case were do you live?? We live in Aurora right next to Buckley AFB. We should get together sometime maybe we can jam a little.

Sam Layton
carrotop@gmail.com